Re: Tracepoint enhancements

Jeremy Bennett wrote:
On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 12:57 -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:
A bigger change would be to introduce a general notion of execution history, which could subsume fork checkpoints and trace snapshots, maybe tie into some versions of reverse debugging as well.

Which also requires a way of specifying what execution you are talking about. A uniform way of addressing potentially hundreds of thousands of threads of control individually and in arbitrary groupings.

The "inferior/thread set" syntax for multiprocess GDB has the ability to do numerical ranges and unions and such, so it gets at least part of the way there. One of the things that struck me about TotalView is that they introduced dozens of special-purpose predicates as well - "system-created lwps that were locked out but are now runnable and yet haven't run yet". :-) I suspect that practical usage with GDB will demonstrate that many of those are not as silly as they sound, and we'll be wanting our own versions!

Stan