Re: MI non-stop mode spec

 > (*) Current MI syntax says that any result record must be followed by a
 > prompt. For sync targets, this is wrong -- when gdb prints ^running
 > and resumes the target, it does not check for input, so (gdb) is misleading.
 > When the target stops, the *stopped message, followed by the prompt is
 > printed -- and it's at this point that gdb starts to accept the input
 > again. So, I propose to remove the prompt right after ^running for the
 > sync targets.

It's not a prompt, just a delimiter.  For a start it has a newline after it.
Furthermore if you change the prompt with "set prompt", it doesn't change.

 > Each MI command results in either ^done, ^error, ^connected or ^running
 > response. The ^connected response is basically identical to ^done,
 > and the naming is different for historic reasons.  All of those
 > except for ^running are immediately followed by prompt. The ^running
 > response means that the target has started running. Further events
 > from the target will be reported using async notifications.
 >
 > The async notifications are for various interesting events that cannot
 > generally be reported as result of a command. For example,
 >
 >           =thread-created

This notification doesn't appear to be in the manual.  Why are there no
equivalent =thread-exited notifications?

 > Presently, MI spec says a command can output ^running just once.
 > However, it the presense of breakpoint commands, it's quite possible
 > that we resume one thread, hit a breakpoint, and breakpoint commands
 > resume all threads, or some other thread.
 >
 > To handle this case we need a new async output for this case:
 >
 >    *running,thread-id="xxx"

      ^running,thread-id="xxx" ?  ("running" isn't an out-of-bound record)

 > which is emitted whenever a previously stopped thread is resumed.
 > In case all threads are resumed, "xxx" will be "all".
 > To simplify things, if GDB is started in MI mode, no CLI command is allowed
 > while the target is running, and -interpreter-exec is not allowed either.

If you can make this work with MI commands, it should be easy to add CLI
commands to do the same thing.  I will do this.

 >     - Thread commands. The -thread-info command should be implemented (a
 >     patch is already posted).

Notice that there is currently an inconsistency here:

  -exec-run
  ^running
  (gdb)
  *stopped,reason="breakpoint-hit",bkptno="1",thread-id="0",...
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^
while

  (gdb)
  -thread-info