Re: Tracepoints functionality for local targets

> >  >
> >  > Is there some work planned for the working of the tracepoints for
> >  > local targets?
> >
> >  Not yet, but Doug was talking about it on this list a few days ago.
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2008-02/msg00156.html
>
> The thread starts out talking about gdbserver, but both it and native
> are (briefly) discussed.  At this point I'm just researching projects,
> I'm not actively working on this one.

well we actually use gdb tracepoints with local targets via gdbserver and
as that works just fine I don't see much point in having two
implementations - the overhead of having a local gdbserver running is not
too high. Note though that with Linux at least there are some subtle
problems related to the way ptraced processes are woken up resulting in
relatively large delays in the child process being traced (see infos and
traces at http://dslab.lzu.edu.cn/~hofrat/tp.html)

patches for tracepoints can also be found at
ftp://dslab.lzu.edu.cn/pub/gdb_tracepoints/

hofrat