Re: target remote-attach?

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:14:51PM -0800, Michael Snyder wrote:
> Just thinking aloud... we ought to have a sort of "remote-attach"
> command, that would allow us to connect to a remote target when it
> is already in a "run" state.  Right now the initial handshake
> protocol prevents doing that.
>
> The target might be waiting to tell gdb "I stopped because of
> a SIGTRAP", or similar, or it might actually be running, and
> need to be stopped via a serial BRK or the like.  After that,
> we would be in a sane state from which we could do the usual
> remote_open handshake.
>
> Or is there something like that already?

It's true that we can't attach to a remote stub where the target is
currently running; we'll be looking at that in the context of non-stop
debugging but probably by changing the remote protocol somewhat.  With
the existing protocol it's hard because sending a query may be
interpreted as an interrupt.  If the stub's waiting to send something,
how's the user supposed to figure out if it already has or not?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery