FW: GDB server configuration

Hello All,

I'm new to gdb so I apologize in advance if these questions are lame.? I'm trying to connect a JTAG device to GDB. This device does not support either serial or tcp/ip so the remote connection won't work. The interface is actually PCI. I was wondering if the gdbserver would work. It is not clear to me from the documentation if the server has to run on the embedded target or on the host. My desire is to have the debugger run on a window host, connected to JTAG hardware, and then connected to a PowerPC target. If you can point me to what I should read or any tips on this subject would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Larry Osborn