Re: Posting from work/university addresses

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 04:04:23PM -0400, Bob Rossi wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 11:32:44AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>>I know you are just trying to be really precise about what is
>>happening, but, honestly, don't worry: we're free software volunteers
>>just like you.  We're on your side.  We won't do anything dumb.
>
>I think Eli has a very good point in this matter.  It is very easy for
>a group of talented people to say "trust us, we are doing the correct
>thing".  However, over time, the people change, and other motivating
>factors can creep in.  I agree its best to keep all policy about this
>matter open.  If everyone is doing the right thing, then there is
>absolutely nothing to hide, right?  or perhaps you are afraid that if
>the spammers know what you are blocking, then they will get good at
>spamming...

I believe that Ian pointed you to web pages which talk about the spam
blocking.  Here's one in particular:

http://sourceware.org/lists.html#spam

The vast majority of email received at sourceware.org is spam.  We have
obviously been blocking it for quite some time.  We also have blocked
certain individuals who have abused the privilege of sending email to
the mailing lists.

Remember that you know that the disclaimer block is happening because I
mentioned it.  Suggesting that there may be other motivations for the
action, that we may be too stupid to do the right thing, that we may
become untrustworthy over time, or chiding us to be open really seems
like a pointless exercise to me.

cgf