Re: Scope Checking Patch

Rob Quill wrote:
Thanks. I tried this, but I ended up with a 214MB diff file. I'm not
sure why this is, as I did a make distclean on both copies, I think it
may be due to the testsuite results not having been cleaned or
something. Does anyone have any ideas what to do?

Don't build in your source tree. As you discovered it is really inconvenient.

Instead, put all the object files in a second directory alongside your src directory:

mkdir objdir
cd objdir
../src/configure
make

This way the sources are not polluted* and the diff will be much cleaner.

Also, like Markus said, always use context or unified diffs. Ordinary diff output isn't nearly so useful. I'd also suggest using the -p option - it adds a procedure name to each hunk - entirely cosmetic, but nice to
have.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

* There are some files, such as .info files, which get written back to the source tree.