RE: [mingw32] stdin redirection

On 12 April 2007 16:54, Joel Brobecker wrote:

[ gdb@ cc'd back in because some of the information I'm replying with is
relevant to the thread and should end up in the archives and I don't think you
said anything /terribly/ personal in your reply - apologies in advance if you
feel I've taken a liberty by doing so. ]

>>>   Have you tried CYGWIN=tty/CYGWIN=notty?
>>
>> ... itchy send finger.  Should have mentioned that this is only relevant
>> in a standard dos console.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't, but will do if necessary. There's
> still a lot of information that I'm missing so I'm focusing on trying
> to build the necessary knowledge from Daniel (I think he implemented
> all that code). Cheers!

  Cool.  The essence of the problem is probably to do with launching a win32
native program from a cygwin console.  Cygwin consoles emulate linux pty
handling by connecting win32 pipes to stdin/out/err.  The "CYGWIN=tty" setting
invokes this behaviour in standard DOS consoles as well.  Native Win32
programs, OTOH, are not generally very happy with this.  Hence you can have
problems launching win32 apps from a cygwin native console or from a cygwin
shell in a DOS console when CYGWIN=tty.

    cheers,
      DaveK