GDB Stub & GPL question

Hello
I have a question regarding implementing a remote stub. Say we have to implement/extend a stub for x86 architecture with our own OS.
IN section for "Implementing a remote stub (Section 17.5.3)" in "Debugging with GDB" document there is a point
"Make sure you have a serial connection between your target machine and the gdb host,
and identify the serial port on the host."

Does this mean that GDB on host and GDB agent/stub on the target can only talk on a serial port ?

And in point 7 it says "Start gdb on the host, and connect to the target" in which TCP connection is allowed as well.

Can someone help me in getting things right ?
I know that it is possible to have a TCP communication between gdb and gdbserver.
Is there a support for the same for stubs ?

Another question is regarding GPL...
some part of stub code will be residing in our kernel which is proprietary.
Does that mean we will have to release the code for kernel as well ?

Thanx
Veenu

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.