Resuming a single suspended thread on Linux

Hi All

I am implementing a special purpose debugger using gdb.
When a program is being debugged, I load into it a special library
that runs a thread (inside the debugged process) that reports data to
the debugger using a socket communication.

This approach works well on Windows (with another debugger engine),
but when I try to implement it using gdb on Linux, I realize that
whenever the debugged application execution is suspended (breakpoint /
etc), my data reporting thread, that runs inside the debugged process,
is also suspended.

I tried "thread apply X continue", but it seems to continue the entire
process (which, as far as I understand, is the right behavior on
Linux).

Does anyone have an idea for a solution to my problem.

Thanks

Yaki Tebeka