RE: info thread

Agreed, if we the UI views are smart enough to tell which threads are
visible to the users then the implementation can be lazy in getting the
info.

> What I propose is the following:
>
> -thread-list-ids :
> INPUT: none
> OUTPUT:
>     o list of IDs
>     o Current thread could be the first (or last) item of the list, or
>     warned by an asterisk
>
> -thread-list-all-threads
> INPUT: none
> OUTPUT:
>    o like  -thread-list-ids
>    o plus the list of "extra information" per thread
>

> -thread-info
> INPUT: thread ID as an optional parameter, if not given the following
>     concerns current thread
> OUTPUT:
>     o thread ID (could be used to determine which is the current
>     thread if not given in parameter)
>     o extra information
>     o stack frame

OK.  And in term of format, are we talking tuple/list?  There was some
inconsistencies in the old MI versions.  Also for extra information you are
probably mean "optional extra information" will that be an opaque string or
name=value pairs.

> Apart from the debate let me give you some measurements I did on a
> 100 threads program that runs on a board, debugged thru jtag.
> Figures for the "info thread" CLI command only:
> 70 % of the time is spent in getting the stack frame for all threads
> 1% on the "extra info"
> 29% on other stuff out of the loop that collect thread above information.
>
> Stack frame is the one that takes the most since it requires to switch
> the current thread and print the stack. Switching takes 60% of that
> time. Moreover extra information are reduced for our target.
>
> Please note that the total time is 7.2 seconds for this example !

On some architecture "info threads" can make things extremely slow, since
the IDE will have to poll at every step to discover created/destroyed
threads.  For the long run we should probably look at notifications.