Merge of nickrob-async-20060513 to mainline?

I have recently updated/merged the asynchronous branch (nickrob-async-20060513)
that I am working on.  The overall task is too great for me to complete alone
and it has attracted no interest as a branch.  For these reasons (and the
coming release of Emacs 22) I would like to merge it with mainline GDB.  I have
tried to arrange that GDB on my branch will only build with the "--async"
option for GNU/Linux on i386.  This should mean that it should build and run as
before on any other platform, and that itwill only run differently on
i386-linux-gnu if the "--async" option is specified.

If it passes the current testsuite and I add some new testcases for the
asynchronous operation (probably in the MI part of the testsuite), may I make
such a merge?