Need help in debugging daemons with GDB

I am not sure this is the correct mailing list for this but did not
find another  suitable one ...
I am debugging a daemon in FreeBSD and I am particularly interested in
the initialization functions activity as the daemon starts ...
conventionally I attach the GDB to the PID and supply the unstripped
object file of the daemon as argument. Now the problem with this is
when you stop the daemon and restart there is no info of the PID
avaliable for attaching the GDB, thus I cannot get to see the
initialization functions ... and by the time you get to know PID the
initialization stuff is already history :-)