Hacking cross GDB to work for ASIC

Dear All,

I am aware that I previously posted relating to this issue for the SE3208 EISC processor, but I found a simple hack that allows for the clean compilation of GDB on both MinGW and Linux. This hack involves simply commenting the "ASSERT" statements in the file "sim-n-bits.h", (located in gdb/sim/common). This is applied to the gdb version 5.3.

My question is very simple: does doing this ruin the simulator at all? The hosts will *always* be i586+ running either Linux or MinGW, (mostly the latter). Furthermore the target uses 2's complement; rather than sign extension.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Ashray
Ashray Prasad
B.E. (Computer Systems)/B.Sc. (Computer Science)