Re: Problems with startup code symbols (Copious warnings)

Jim Blandy wrote:

>Steven Johnson <sjohnson@sakuraindustries.com> writes:
>

>>For ever and a day with GDB i've gotten the following warnings:
>>
>>warning: (Internal error: pc 0x00 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)
>>
>>I get it a lot.  I even patch GDB so it doesn't generate this warning,
>>its so annoying.
>>
>>0x00 happens to be my programs entry point (its an embedded system).
>>And is in Assembler code.
>>
>>I've never liked patching GDB to get rid of this warning, so I invested
>>some time on it and I've just discovered 2 ways to make it go away:
>>
>>1. If I compile my code with stabs+ debug info, I don't get the
>>warning.  I would prefer to use Dwarf-2 however, as it seems to be the
>>way of the future.
>>
>>2. If I add:
>>
>>.section .debug_info,"",@progbits as the first directive in my asm file,
>>the warning also goes away.  But so does the code when I view it under GDB.
>>
>>Does anyone know any special incantation I need to make in my ASM file,
>>to get rid of the warning, but still retain the symbolic information so
>>I can see the code and symbols under GDB?
>>
>>The file is a ".S" file, it is assembler but i build it with GCC.  The
>>CPU is a PowerPC, Motorola MPC862.
>>

>Can you post an executable for which GDB produces this message, and
>let us know which target you've configured GDB for?

I can't post my app, because of a number of reasons.  I will try to
coble together one I can post, that limits itself to this problem.

GDB is configured for powerpc-eabi or powerpc-rtems (doesn't matter
which, I've used both with the same results).

Will post an app tomorrow that does this, once I've made one.

Steven J