Re: MI query questions

On May 30, 2006, at 10:53 AM, Bob Rossi wrote:

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 10:48:53AM -0700, Jim Ingham wrote:
Actually, to avoid confusion, this really looks like:

(gdb) set interpreter mi1
-interpreter-exec console-quoted "break raise"
~"[0] cancel\n[1] all\n"
~"\nNon-debugging symbols:\n"
~"[2]    -[NSException raise]\n"
~"[3]    raise\n"
=read-one-line,prompt="> "

In our version of gdb the console interpreter really is the straight
CLI console interpreter - this is required to get the "set
interpreter" command to work.  So we had to invent another
interpreter that did the proper quoting.  Anyway, this is what it
would look like for you...

This is also the solution I was thinking of. However, I would like to
modify the MI OUTPUT record to show this as a possibility. Also, I think
that this should be 1 full response.
(gdb) set interpreter mi1
-interpreter-exec console-quoted "break raise"
~"[0] cancel\n[1] all\n"
~"\nNon-debugging symbols:\n"
~"[2] -[NSException raise]\n"
~"[3] raise\n"
=read-one-line,prompt="> "
(gdb)

And then the user will send the command, and then get another full
response representing the breakpoint output.

Does this make sense?

I'm not sure I like this. It doesn't really seem to mirror what's going on. The -interpreter-exec command hasn't finished, rather, it's asking - out of band - for some more information. So sending an out-of-band message with this request seems cleaner. Why do you want the extra (gdb) prompt?

Jim

This would mean that there would be a new part of the MI output record
that would tell the FE that it needs to ask the user for more
information. Most FE's that have used annotate 1 or 2 have already come
across this situation and dealt with it nicely.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi