Re: Checking if addess is on stack?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:03:11PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> That's one possible situation, sure.  But there are others: someone
> could be scribbling over ptr->i by inadvertently changing ptr itself.
>
> If you think this latter situation is unlikely or uninteresting, you
> in effect say that our whole concept of watching expression values is
> wrong.

It depends what you're debugging, of course.  I'm generally debugging
"something in the list is wrong, later, in another function";
"something in this function clobbered the loop pointer" is much rarer.
That's likely to be in a register, for instance.

I think that the idea of watching expression values is useful as an
option, but if there's more than one memory location involved I can't
think when the last time I wanted the current behavior was.  And I find
it very unintuitive that "print &foo->bar; watch *$31" is not the same
as "watch foo->bar" (and that the former is so cumbersome).

But I'm not suggesting changing our behavior at this late date.

> In your example, you (the user) knew what you were after.  I was
> arguing that doing this always in a front end, like what Vladimir was
> suggesting, might not be what users expect in each particular case.

I would believe that it is more often correct, especially if the GUI is
used to set the watchpoint - if I clicked on a member of a structure and
said "watch this", I'd mean the member, not whatever expression I followed
to get that window to pop up.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery