Re: MI error msgs and localization

 > GCC developers spent a lot of time talking about this.  I think the
 > trick to doing this right is actually to do it the way Bjarke
 > suggested: msg= as a free-form, explanatory text, and type= (or code=,
 > or something else) as a documented identifier.  But using numbers for
 > the identifiers is not necessarily a good idea, because keeping track
 > of them is error-prone.  I'd suggest that
 > type="init-option-unrecognized" was a lot more memorable than
 > "code=35".

You wouldn't have to remember them, thay're for use by the front-end, not the
user.  In any case the console log stream gets printed alongside, which should
be self-explanatory.  How would you arrange for the type message to be
printed?  Would you give error a second string argument?  It has over 1200
calls.

 > We have to be careful what error messages get identifiers, though.
 > Please don't anybody go through the source indiscriminately adding
 > them.  Many errors will still be subject to change even if you tack
 > permanent identifiers on them.

All calls to error could be given a dummy argument (0, if numbers are used),
and replaced with a real one only in thoses cases when a need arises.

Nick