Re: MI -break-info command issues

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 02:15:41PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Can you name frontend that uses MI and that is not GUI, just as example.
>
> Why should I bother?  MI is a general-purpose interface, it's not
> limited to GUI.  That's its design goal.  Even if there's no UI at
> this time that uses MI, it doesn't necessarily mean we should forever
> ban such UIs from coming into existence, just because there are a few
> fields a GUI normally won't want.

I agree that the data is useless. However, Eli's concern is that it
might not be useless to a particular program that is already using it.

If we remove it, I'm sure the developer (of the program that uses the
data) wouldn't be happy. Does it really hurt to leave it there?
I will just ignore it.

However, I do have an opinion that new commands should not contain
formatting data like this. It's pushing mechanism over policy.
  http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch01s06.html#id2877777

Bob Rossi