Re: Using XML in GDB?

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 10:03:19PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:38:32 -0500
> > From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
> >
> > I'm not going to pursue this for now because of IP issues; the terms on
> > the SPIRIT documents make me leery of using them for an open source
> > program, at least without talking to a lawyer about it first.
>
> Are these documents public?  If not we should stay away from this
> stuff.  But if they are public, I can't see why we cannot implement an
> interface specification.

You have to register and agree to their terms to get a copy:
www.spiritconsortium.com.  However anyone can register, which
wasn't obvious to me the first time I looked.

Implementing an interface specification is not necessarily OK depending
on one's jurisdiction and what patents are involved; that's one of the
reasons there's a lot of people who object to software patents :-)  It
is entirely possible to write an interface such that any use of it
would require a patent license, or more than one.

I'm not saying that that's the case here, but the disclaimer certainly
suggests that it may be:

b) COMPLIANCE WITH THE SPIRIT SPECIFICATION MAY REQUIRE USE OF ONE OR
MORE FEATURES COVERED BY PATENT RIGHTS OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
RIGHTS OF A CONSORTIUM MEMBER OR THIRD PARTY. THE MEMBERS TO THE
CONSORTIUM HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY FOR INFRINGEMENT OF
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OF OTHERS BY VIRTUE OF THE CONSORTIUM
SPECIFICATIONS, NOR DO THE MEMBERS TO THE CONSORTIUM UNDERTAKE A DUTY
TO ADVISE USERS OR POTENTIAL USERS OF THE CONSORTIUM SPECIFICATIONS OF
SUCH NOTICES OR ALLEGATIONS.

Anyway, my curiousity has been effectively engaged.  I'll take a look
at it.  If necessary I can find some US legal advice about the terms.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery