Re: Using XML in GDB?

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:

 Daniel> On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 03:06:27PM +0000, Andrew STUBBS
 Daniel> wrote:
 >> That sounds good. We have been considering doing something with
 >> memory mapped registers (devices, exception/interrupt reason
 >> codes, etc.), and this might be the answer.

 Daniel> Would you expose them as registers, or as memory mapped I/O,
 Daniel> from the stub?

I would very much like to have access to device registers.  But I
doubt that treating them as memory or as CPU GP registers would work.

Device registers tend to have side effects.  Neither memory nor GPU
general registers do.  So machinery like the register cache can't be
involved if you are playing with device registers; you want to apply
"volatile" rules to them.

So each UI action has to correspond with exactly one operation on a
device register, not more, not less.  And you want to make sure that
there are ways to do just a write, or just a read -- a store can't be
turned into a load/store pair.

     paul