From: Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.com>
Date: Jan 18, 2006 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: -Wpointer-sign for GCC 4.1
To: Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com>
Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>, gcc@gcc.gnu.org

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:10:19AM -0800, Mike Stump wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> >Someone's informed Richard Stallman that this (annoying) warning
> >will not be
> >enabled by default in GCC 4.1.
>
> >But, it currently seems to be.  Should it be turned off before the
> >release?
>
> The SC or Jim Wilson will know more than I.
>
> >  If not, who told RMS it was? :-)
>
> Likewise.

The Emacs developers were unhappy, so RMS complained to the SC, and there
was a discussion.  At first RMS just wanted the warning to appear only
with --pedantic or -Wpointer-sign, but he was convinced that it should
also appear with -Wall.

So the answer is that, after consulting with some of the affected people
(which is why you got mail, Mike) the SC told RMS that it would be
changed.  If it hasn't been done yet, then it's a release blocker,
because it was a promise the SC made.