Re: Register numbers on hppa64

If we change the register use in .dwarf_frame, then we are breaking
compatibility with previously compiled code.  This isn't a big deal
under HP-UX (dwarf debugging was totally broken on hppa64 until a
recent assembler fix).  However, there is a fair bit of installed
code running linux.  Thus, I would say not change the status quo
if the above confusion can be handled.  The actual numbers used for
the FP registers are obscure and I doubt many people actually care
what they are.  It's only people maintaining the dwarf code that
are likely to get confused.  If readelf produced a text rather than
numeric representation, then the problem would largely go away.

If I understand Mark correctly, the suggestion would change the numbering used for dwarf cfi/eh, but not the register numbers emitted for .debug_info, right?

FWIW currently on hppa-linux, gdb does not use dwarf cfi for frame unwinding. It's on my list of things to do, but if something need changing in gcc for whatever reason, now is a good time to do it as far as I'm concerned.

randolph