Re: Output from target in MI mode

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 05:43:46PM +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Friday 18 November 2005 16:48, Bob Rossi wrote:
>
> > > I see this:
> > >
> > >    (gdb)
> > >    -exec-run
> > >    ^running
> > >    (gdb)
> > >    Hi
> > >    *stopped,reason="exited-normally"
> > >    (gdb)
> > >
> > > The output from target is not prepended by "@". Gdb version is 6.3.
> > > Is this a bug, or out-of-date docs, or I read the docs incorrectly?
> >
> > Currently, when running on the host, the output from the inferior is
> > mixed with the MI output. If you would like to separate the output you
> > can use the -inferior-set-tty command. This means that your front end
> > needs to be capable of creating a pty pair. That way, all of the
> > inferior output will be captured on a seperate descriptor.
>
> Sure, that's what happening now. But that pty handling is a bit messy, since
> gdb already knows what output comes from inferior, it could just prepend it
> with some character.

Actually, I don't think it does. GDB allows the inferior to run, and the
inferior's output get's directed directly to the terminal (I believe).

> > The 'target' in teh above sentence I believe is refering to when GDB is
> > using a remote protocol to a specific piece of hardware. It's not
> > refering to the host.
>
> Ok, then it's not clear to me either. There's specific packet in remote
> protocol ("OXXXX") which allows to pass arbitrary text from remote side to
> gdb. Is this what's printed with "@". Or there some other messages from
> remote that are also printed with "@" prefix?

I'm not sure. I've never seen output with the "@" before it. If you are
on the host, you will not get the "@" before the I/O from the inferior
process. Someone else might be able to give you more details on when
target I/O is done, if at all.

Bob Rossi