Re: [RFC] a prototype checkpoint-restart using core files

> Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 06:40:22 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 19:19:37 -0500
> > From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
> > Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com, gdb-patches@sources.redhat.com
> >
> > I've got to say that this is amazingly cool.
> >
> > Afraid that's all the comments I have time for at the moment :-)
>
> I agree, and I'd add that getting this into GDB soon would be good.

Heh, I'd expected Eli to ask for documentation ;-)

Anyway, in this cause I think that's important since I expect a lot of
users won't understand its limitations.

If I read the code correctly, there is one rather serious limitation
though: restoring mmapped area's will fail if the same area isn't
mapped in the target process.  Especially on systems that randomize
the location of mmapped memory this will make the usefullness of this
feature pretty limited :(.

Mark