Re: Status on cross builds

> Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:12:21 -0500
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
>
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 12:28:02AM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > > Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:24:27 -0500
> > > From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
> > >
> > > Honestly, I recommend we disable -Werror for this release, if we aren't
> > > going to spend a month fixing them.  You think the cross builds are
> > > bad?  It's the natives that really break badly.
> >
> > But it's only enabled in gdb_mbuild.sh.  That hardly matters for the
> > release.  By default, we still configure without -Werror.  I really
> > think that's why so many stuff has problems with -Werror.  So instead
> > I think, we should *enable* -Werror by default on the main branch
> > after the release branch has been made.  I volunteer to do the
> > necessary legwork and create a suitable patch.
>
> Sorry, we get -Werror by default for the various directories from
> binutils.  I was close.

Ah yes, we might want to switch that off for the release.  I think
-Werror there caused a few issues on some HP-UX versions, and I'm not
sure I fixed all of those.  But then there's always --disable-werror.

> After a release would be the right time to switch it on for gdb, if
> ever.  But we would need broad build testing from CVS on the native
> platforms, and I don't think we've _ever_ had that.

Well, I think it's safe to assume that native platforms that haven't
been built during the 6.3 -> 6.4 cycle, will be broken anyway.  If we
really care about -Werror (and I think we should, bacause it catches
sloppy code and real bugs) then the only way to keep our code
warning-free is enabling it.  That forces people to fix the problems
in the code they care about.  We can always disable it again shortly
before release if we're not confident that all problems have been
fixed.

Mark