Re: Couldn't write debug register: No such process

[snip]
On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 01:04:58PM -0700, David L wrote:
> I'm getting this error when I try to continue after setting a remote target
> (gdbserver on a local socket). I'm using gdb 6.3 that I compiled from
> source on a fedora core 3 system.
> Couldn't write debug register: No such process
>

> What does this mean? Thanks...

That something is broken.  There's not enough information in your
report to say more.  Is the gdbserver also running on an IA32 GNU/Linux
platform?  What's the transcript of the session look like?

gdbserver is running on the same computer like this:
/usr/local/bin/gdbserver localhost:9005 testfixed testfixed.conf

From the gdb session:

GNU gdb 6.3
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db library
"/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) target remote localhost:9005
Remote debugging using localhost:9005
0x00add7c0 in ?? ()
(gdb)  watch *((double *) 0x8155218)
Hardware watchpoint 1: *(double *) 135615000
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
Couldn't write debug register: No such process.

I'm not sure if it's ok to add a watchpoint like I did, but it works when I don't use gdbserver. I did it like this because adding a watchpoint like this:

(gdb) watch confidence_[7]
Hardware watchpoint 6: this->confidence_[7]

doesn't work:

(gdb) cont
Continuing.
current stack frame does not contain a variable named `this'

So I found the address of confidence_[7]
(gdb) print &confidence_[7]
$3 = (double *) 0x8155218

and set the watchpoint on the address instead of on the variable name.

Cheers...

Dave