Re: Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native? :-(

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 10:12:40PM +0100, Steve Folly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build gdb 6.3 on host powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0 for
> target i386-pc-mingw32msvc.

GDB 6.3 doesn't support the mingw32 target.  In fact it doesn't support
mingw32 as a host either.  Later versions will support it as a host but
not target.

> Unfortunately nothing much gets built. Probably because of the bit of
> the configure script I found that starts with the comment:
>
>     # Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native.

This line does not appear in the GDB I'm looking at.  You must be using
someone's mingw32 patches.

> I'm trying to get a GNU toolset hosted on OS X and targetting Windows
> (MinGW). So far, the compiler toolset is working dandy, and having
> gdb would top it off just right.

Note, even if this worked, you'd need a remote debug agent for Windows.
There isn't one finished yet (though I have an unfinished one lying
around somewhere if I can ever find the time).

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC