Re: Can't debug Threaded application

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 03:06:39AM +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 12:08:53PM -0400, jo@atsresults.com wrote:

Does no one have answer to this problem?

Is GDB useless for threaded applications now?

Of course not. No one's responded because no one has advice that you can't find in the list archives. This almost always means something is broken on your installation. You may want to report it to Trustix, since that's your distribution.

I thought it was just me that had thread problems. In a program, when i step over:

 result  = gnome_vfs_directory_list_load (&dir_list, directory,
                     GNOME_VFS_FILE_INFO_DEFAULT);

I get:

(gdb) next

 Program received signal SIG33, Real-time event 33.
 [Switching to Thread -1230148688 (LWP 3083)]
 0xb7a975a9 in poll () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6

and execution seems to abort because i can't reach any
breakpoints after this point. The program was compiled
with gcc-3.4.4 -g -O0. Gdb is version 6.3.

I recommend submitting a complete test case, since this sort of thing
does work for many people.

It's too hard for me to isolate to a simple test case, because i think it's caused by an earlier part of the program that sets up threading, but i know that this library function is pretty ugly (i was debugging someone elses program). All i can do is submit the whole project, or else leave it till one day when i'm writing my own threaded code and find the same bug that i could make a simple test case for.