Re: show inferior-tty

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 02:08:29PM +1200, Nick Roberts wrote:
>  > > Secondly, if I don't set the tty, I get:
>  > >
>  > > (gdb) show inferior-tty
>  > > Terminal for future runs of program being debugged is "".
>  > >
>  > > I think that it should still display a value.  Also perhaps it could just
>  > > say e.g
>  > >
>  > > Terminal for future runs is "/dev/pts/1".
>  >
>  > Well, I think this is just preference. GDB has worked like this for
>  > years. I don't mind it the way it is, but if others want it changed,
>  > that's fine too.
>
> What has worked like this for years?  "show inferior-tty" is new isn't it?

Sorry for the lack of information. The "inferior-tty" is simply a better
"tty" command. The tty command has had this documentation,
   (gdb) help tty
   Set terminal for future runs of program being debugged.

> The phrase "of program being debugged" seems redundant to me (what other
> possibilities are there?).  It might be even more clear to say:
>
> Default terminal for future runs is "/dev/pts/1".
>
> since the redirection overrides this.

I like your suggestion. There is still 1 ambiguity though. Is the
"Default terminal for future runs" for GDB's I/O? or for the inferior's
I/O? I think this question is why the phrase "program being debugged" is used.

I would be more than happy to update the documentation to be more clear.
I certainly know that what's clear to me, usually isn't to the rest of
the world :)

Bob Rossi