Re: mmalloc question

   Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:38:24 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Ellcey <sje@cup.hp.com>

   I have been looking at removing the uses of BFD_NEED_DECLARATION from
   the source tree and replacing it with the standard AC_CHECK_DECL.  This
   is possible now that we have moved up from autoconf 2.14.  Eventually, I
   would like to remove the definition of BFD_NEED_DECLARATION from the
   src/bfd subdirectory.

Great!

   gdb uses BFD_NEED_DECLARATION in two subdirectories, in src/gdb, which
   should be easy to fix and in src/mmalloc.  Now mmalloc says it is no
   longer maintained and it hasn't been updated since 2003.  My question
   is:  does mmalloc need to be updated if I want to get rid of
   BFD_NEED_DECLARATION or can it be left alone with the knowledge that
   after the BFD_NEED_DECLARATION definition is removed from the src/bfd it
   will no longer build?  The top-level configure still seems to allow for
   mmalloc to be built, but when I ran 'make all-mmalloc' it didn't
   actually try to build anything, it just returned after doing nothing.

As far as GDB is concerned, mmalloc is gone, and I'm not aware of any
other project using it.  So don't worry about it.  I'm perfectly happy
with letting it rot.

Mark