mmalloc question

I have been looking at removing the uses of BFD_NEED_DECLARATION from
the source tree and replacing it with the standard AC_CHECK_DECL.  This
is possible now that we have moved up from autoconf 2.14.  Eventually, I
would like to remove the definition of BFD_NEED_DECLARATION from the
src/bfd subdirectory.

gdb uses BFD_NEED_DECLARATION in two subdirectories, in src/gdb, which
should be easy to fix and in src/mmalloc.  Now mmalloc says it is no
longer maintained and it hasn't been updated since 2003.  My question
is:  does mmalloc need to be updated if I want to get rid of
BFD_NEED_DECLARATION or can it be left alone with the knowledge that
after the BFD_NEED_DECLARATION definition is removed from the src/bfd it
will no longer build?  The top-level configure still seems to allow for
mmalloc to be built, but when I ran 'make all-mmalloc' it didn't
actually try to build anything, it just returned after doing nothing.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com