Re: no stack trace with 2.6.11 and gdb 6.3

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 04:15:59PM -0500, richard.coe@med.ge.com wrote:

> Daniel Jacobowitz writes:
> In a message dated: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:37:21 EDT
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 02:20:58PM -0500, Rich Coe wrote:
> > > Yes, after I manually run
> > >     'add-symbol-file-from-memory 0xffffe000'
> > > I can get a valid traceback.
> > >
> > > Why doesn't this just work like gdb-6.0 on 2.6.7 ?
> >
> > Your GDB 6.0 was also patched by Red Hat; again, you would have to ask
> > them.
>
>     In this regard, you are shallow.  I think every developer has a
>     certain expectation that when they type backtrace, that the debugger
>     accurately display the data.  I was merely referencing a previously
>     release where it works, and now it doesn't.
>
>     There is an obvious difference that this is not working.
>     I'm all for working towards a solution and I don't think you taking pot
>     shots at Redhat is working toward that end.  If you have a beef with
>     Redhat, I could care less.  If you are saying or implying that this is
>     broken only in a Redhat kernel, then please be less obtuse, because
>     I'll gladly track this problem down wherever it may lead.

Kindly don't be insulting.  I'm not "taking a potshot at Red Hat".  I
know for an absolute fact that GDB 6.0 would not load a vsyscall DSO
and automatically backtrace from it.  If you have a GDB 6.0-<something>
which does, then the patches came from elsewhere, and I can't answer
questions about code we don't have.

> > > Why does this command run automatically when debugging with gdb from the
> > > command line but when attaching to an already running process ?
> >
> > Because it's different code that detects the new program.
>
>     So it seems that you are well aware of this problem.
>     Are you recommending that the add-symbol-file-from-memory as the
>     current solution ?

No, I told you that I expected it to work in CVS.  If it does not, then
someone needs to reproduce your problem using an unpatched GDB and
debug it.  I do not have a Red Hat x86_64 system on which to reproduce
it, but I may be able to elsewhere - if I have time.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC