GDB over a serial link (with no OS) for MIPS32

Hi,
 We need to develop a gdb debug tool for a custom multi-processor MIPS
target running in an infinite loop (without an OS) over a serial link
with a UART. The host is an x86 machine with Linux OS.

 The single UART needs to provide connectivity to all the processors
on the target and the debug tool needs to do processor specific
commands (breakpoints, source-level debug, etc.).

 Can you guys please point me to any reference material,
implementations, etc. for me to get started with this?

Thanks much for your help.

Regards,
-Srinivas