How GDB handle this case while program works well in GDB but crash in mormal mode

Hi,
    I have some trouble in using GDB 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs in Cygwin
to debug the mencoder (which is a program in MPlayer).When I run
mencoder in normal mode,it will pop up an error message saying
mencoder.exe has error and will be closed. But I run mencoder in
gdb,it works well.
    I don't know how to find this bug in GDB,Does GDB has the some
feature to handle this case?

    Any information will be very appreciate!

Renzhong Xiao