arm-elf-run and ANSI escape sequences

First off, let me just say how impressed I am with the ARM simulator!
It astounds me that I can run a binary intended for my embedded
platform with no modification on my development machine.

I'm running an ARM binary using arm-elf-run that makes use of ANSI
escape sequences to control the terminal emulator (konsole in my
case). Clear screen, "\33[2J", works fine. But the combination of save
cursor, "\33[s", and restore cursor, "\33[u" does not. If the answer
is "That does not work." that'd be fine. I'm just a little curious
where it's gone wrong. I figured the escape sequences would be passed
right on through to the terminal emulator, and no-one would ever know
the binary's being run by an ARM simulator. If I compile the
application natively (using gcc instead of arm-elf-gcc) and run it,
save cursor and restore cursor work as expected.

I no very little (ok, nothing) about the internals of gdb, but if gdb
sets up a pseudo-teletype for the child process, perhaps the
save-cursor function does not work with this pseudo-teletype?

Thanks,
Shaun

arm-elf-run 6.3
newlib 1.13.0