Re: Windows support in GDB

Dave Korn wrote:
----Original Message----

From: Mark Mitchell
Sent: 29 April 2005 17:15

The fundamental reason for us to use it is that our customers say --
strongly -- that they do not want to use Cygwin.  (In contrast, I use
Cygwin every day.)  There are a lot of possible reasons for the customer
desire, and it doesn't really seem all that useful to debate the
reasons, as our debate won't change their minds.

:) The customer is always right, even if they're a complete idiot!

Hardly -- and we consider it part of our job to educate our customers on what's appropriate and what's not. But we also know enough to realize that sometimes we're not going to change their minds. And sometimes they have good reasons for seeing things differently than us.

GDB certainly contains more autoconf #ifdefs to support various versions of UNIX than have been added through our recent Windows patches. I'm genuinely perplexed as to where the concerns are originating. I'd understand concerns about hacking up the DWARF reader, or the symbol table interface, or even adding support for the Visual C debug format (we have no such plans!). But here we've added things like #ifdef HAVE_SIGPIPE around uses of SIGPIPE, where the code already contained very similar #ifdefs.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC