Re: howto build gdb / gdbserver for x86 host with arm-linux target?

--- Anil Gunturu <anil_gunturu@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You don't need symbols on the target when running gdbserver. So it's ok to
> strip the symbols.

right, I realize that the exe on the target can be stripped, but a non-stripped
version will need to exist on the host and I assume it can't hurt to have the
target version non stripped as well right?

> You need to export the arm-gcc before running ./configure. For example:
> export CC=${arm-compiler-path}/arm-gcc
> configure --target=arm-linux.
> -Anil

Ah, so basically autoconf doesn't handle cross compiling and you always need to
specify the compiler manually.

Now I'm running into the following error:

[gdb-6.3]$ export CC=/usr/local/bin/arm-linux-gcc
[gdb-6.3]$ ./configure --target=arm-linux
creating cache ./config.cache
checking target system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc... /usr/local/bin/arm-linux-gcc
checking whether the C compiler (/usr/local/bin/arm-linux-gcc  ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (/usr/local/bin/arm-linux-gcc  ) is a
cross-compiler... yes
checking whether /usr/local/bin/arm-linux-gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gnatbind... no
checking whether compiler driver understands Ada... no
checking how to compare bootstrapped objects... cmp --ignore-initial=16 $$f1
$$f2
checking for correct version of gmp.h... no
checking for bison... bison
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for gm4... no
checking for gnum4... no
checking for m4... m4
checking for flex... flex
checking for flex... flex
checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-ar... no
checking for ar... ar
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-as... no
checking for as... as
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-dlltool... no
checking for dlltool... dlltool
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-ld...
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/3.3.3/../../../../arm-linux/bin/ld
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-nm... no
checking for nm... nm
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-ranlib... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-windres... no
checking for windres... windres
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-objcopy... no
checking for objcopy... objcopy
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-objdump... no
checking for objdump... objdump
checking for arm-linux-ar... arm-linux-ar
checking for arm-linux-as... arm-linux-as
checking for arm-linux-dlltool... no
checking for arm-linux-ld... arm-linux-ld
checking for arm-linux-nm... arm-linux-nm
checking for arm-linux-ranlib... arm-linux-ranlib
checking for arm-linux-windres... no
checking if symbolic links between directories work... yes
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile

[gdb-6.3]$ make
Configuring in libiberty
configure: creating cache ./config.cache
checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
checking for perl... perl
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-ar... ar
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-ranlib... ranlib
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... /usr/local/bin/arm-linux-gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C
compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.
make: *** [configure-libiberty] Error 1

I'm not sure why I would ever change 'host' as the host that gdb will be
running on will be x86 right?  Althought 'host' for gdbserver will need to be
arm-linux right?  I'm still a bit confused.

Tim