Re: question on mi-console.exp kfail case

Bob Rossi wrote:
Hi,

Andrew, I've mailed you personally cause I think you originally wrote
the comment below,

I've got the entire testsuite passing with the new syntax checker for
the MI output. However, I noticed the testcase mi?-console.exp has this,

See my reply to your patch. I suspect we ``violently agree with each other''. The comment, written in ~'98, reflects the position taken tat that time. It's been superseeded by other events - MI clients end up doing what I thought was "hard".

Andrew

gdb_expect {

This is now wrong.

GDB would only produce this when connected to a remote target. That code has been superseeded by remote file I/O.

       -re "@\"H\"\r\n.*@\"e\"\r\n.*@\"l\"\r\n.*@\"l\"\r\n.*@\"o\"\r\n.*@\" \"\r\n.*@\"\\\\\\\\\"\r\n.*@\"\\\\\"\"\r\n.*@\"!\"\r\n.*@\"\\\\r\"\r\n.*@\"\\\\n\"\r\n" {
       pass "Hello message"
       }

This is now right (but must come from the PTY).

-re "Hello" {

       # Probably a native system where GDB doesn't have direct
       # control over the inferior console.
       # For this to work, GDB would need to run the inferior process
       # under a PTY and then use the even-loops ability to wait on
       # multiple event sources to channel the output back through the
       # MI.

       kfail "gdb/623" "Hello message"
       }
       timeout {
       fail "Hello message (timeout)"
       }
   }

In particular, I don't know what the first regular expression is, and
it's the one that allows for a "pass". What is it trying to match?

When I run this testcase, I get,
   KFAIL: gdb.mi/mi-console.exp: Hello message (PRMS: gdb/623)

The output of the inferior is simply "Hello \"!\r\n". Since I have the
testsuite set up so the inferior output is redirected to it's own pty,
would it be fine for me to match the expected output with a PASS?

Or is this a kfail for some reason I just don't understand?

Andrew