Re: Trimming the CVS "gdb" module

> Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:11:10 -0400
> From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org>
> Cc: kettenis@gnu.org, gdb@sources.redhat.com
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Like I said, I'm not opposed to what you did if we intend to add it
> > back at some future date, when GDB will support gettext and message
> > catalogs.  What worries me is that it sounds like we intend to remove
> > the i18n stuff for good.
>
> Um, GDB supports gettext and message catalogs today.

Unfortunate wording on my part: I should have said ``when GDB will
_have_ message catalogs''.

Anyway, that's not the issue

> Even on _current_ non-GNU systems that don't bundle intl/ it's
> supported, the user just needs to install intl/ first.

That's exactly what worries me: other packages come with `intl' that
gets built as part of "make", unless you disable that through a
configure-time switch.

> Alternativily, someone, could step forward and upgrade/maintain
> src/intl/.

Can't we copycat what Binutils does?  IIRC, it comes with an `intl'
directory under `binutils-X.Y.Z', or at least it used to last time I
looked.