RE: probing GDB for MI versions

  It's absolutely correct.  You have the tools for the job, but you need a
piece of information in order to select the correct tool.  Since you cannot
use the tool to get the information to select the tool to .......... as you
so correctly point out, the answer is to use a _different_ tool.  And a
crude ad-hoc parser is just the tool for the job.

> The problem is, we would be adding a command to the MI
> function set that
> would not be able to be parsed and understood with an MI parser. This
> seems really wrong to me. It's probably the issue we should be
> discussing.

  There's no reason why your version-specific MI parsers shouldn't both be
able to understand the output from the -mi-version command as well.  But you
will need the ad-hoc one to get started with.  If you don't like the idea of
an ad-hoc parser, you could always call it a "recognizer" instead......

    cheers,
      DaveK