GDB/MI snapshots between major release's

Hi,

To make things simple, I am separating some of my questions out into
several threads as Eli suggested. There are only a few, and I hope they
are not to annoying.

How should front end developers deal with snapshots of GDB, that are
taken between major versions of GDB. Several distributions
do this and I don't think most front end's would be capable of dealing
with a GDB in this state. In this state, GDB says it is MI3 but outputs commands
in the MI4 style (because version hasn't been bumped yet) or vice versa.
Does this even happen?

Here is my take, since Eli stated that MI is backwards compatible, I
think the version number should be bumped right before the release. This
way, any snapshot of GDB will get the last major version of the MI
protocol that was publically released and supported. Does this sound
correct?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi