Re: gdb and older cygwins

At 08:53 26.08.2004 -0400, Michael Chastain wrote:
>Fabian Cenedese <Cenedese@indel.ch> wrote:
>> PS: The other solution would be to fix the 2.95.3 source about this
>> CRLF bug. I looked into the gcc list but couldn't find simple patches,
>> I guess it needs a bigger change. If anyone has some hints about it...
>
>Well first, gcc 2.95.3 is no longer supported on Cygwin.

Apart from this CRLF bug it seemed to have worked. My source files
could be compiled and after converting the line endings this error
disappeared as well.

>So you are on your own.  But I do have some hints about it.
>
>I can think of six strategies to try:
>
>I would recommend (3B), followed by (1).  (2) is attractive but
>if you don't handle the edge case then you will have random
>intermittent losses.  (4) and (5) have side effects that you
>would have to handle.

Wow, that's a lot to try out :) Thanks for the many possibilities.

I also have tried to compile some gdb versions with my old cygwin
environment:
gdb 5.0:        commented out strsignal in defs.h, then worked
gdb 5.2.1:      missing netinet/tcp.h but accepted an empty file
gdb 5.3:        missing netinet/tcp.h but accepted an empty file
gdb 6.0:        make stopped in readline with undeclared stuff
gdb 6.2:        make stopped already in libiberty with undeclared
                stuff (MAX_PATH, DWORD... sounds Windowsy)

So even if everything new would be best I'm not all out. gdb 5 should
provide everything we need for the remote connection. I will still try
some of your suggestions. Maybe I can at least use a newer
cygwin.

Thanks a lot.

bye  Fabi