Re: [proposal/testsuite] require build == host

Michael Chastain <mec.gnu@mindspring.com>:
> If you've used build != host in the past, that's valid.
> My question is: how far in the past?  Because it seems like
> everything these days is gdb remote protocol.

can't remember last time I did it, this stuff never stays in my
mind long.  but friend says they still do build!=host testing at
TiVo.

> If build != host, then the host does not have to run expect.
> But the host does have to run some kind of network server
> like telnet/ftp or rlogin/rcp (or kermit or tip or ...)

yeah, I suspect whatever problems expect has could be fixed, any
type of network loopback could be used instead of the pty code.
it seems to be a nontrivial amount of work though.

> It's a tradeoff.  The situation right now is that there are 1-2 dozen
> scripts which do not work in a build != host environment, and they've
> been that way for several years.  I can spend time fixing these and
> actually running some build != host test runs.  Or we can change the
> policy so that build != host is not supported.

or those specific scripts could just yield unsupported when
build!=host.