Re: Using USB for GDB remote debug - The USB-GDB HOWTO !!

USB Doesnt work like a normal TCP Pipe or a serial stream. There are endpoints and what not. If you have a USB Serial Port device, and a driver on your PC that knows how to talk to it, then using that from GDB should be like using any other Serial Port (whether it works properly is another question, because USB Serial Ports arent the most relaible of things.)

The other way to do it, would be to write a program that essentially bridged a TCP Socket to a USB Endpoint/s. It would have to deal with USB Traffic issues, and link integrity to create a stream like interface. Then connect to that program with GDB, which would just transparently pass the data it receives to and from GDB along the USB line.

Doing it native from GDB isnt probably going to happen, because USB is just not like a normal stream interface, and so there are no standard streaming USB Interfaces for GDB to connect to.

I Recommend getting a book on USB, and then looking into the Linux USB Interface Driver. It can be communicated to from an application, but it is a raw exposed USB Interface, with the endpoint mechansims exposed, etc.

Good Luck,
Steven

karthik bala guru wrote:

Hi,
Just see this link also....
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2000-11/msg00197.html

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2003-q4/msg00016.html

I think(as per my search), This USB GDB question is left answered uncompletely many times. It would be fine, if someone gives a very good insight in this with some fine links+ideas .

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2003-q2/msg00170.html
The above link states, that one has to write
a driver serial like for usb !!

where is the USB-GDB HOWTO ?????? does anyone have
or Any link ??

Regards,
karthik bala guru

--- Lan Zhang <Lan.Zhang@Zoran.com> wrote:

Hi,

Can I using USB port instead of serial port to do
remote debug? Because
our embedded system only has USB port, so I can only
use USB to send and
receive GDB packet. Is there any version of GDB
support that? If not,
how to add a USB port into GDB?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,