How does GDB/MI give the current frame

Changing the frame with a CLI command (up, down, frame) using annotations
(level 1 or 2), GDB returns an annotation giving the new current frame.
In contrast, the MI command is -stack-select-frame is silent.

Assuming that future front ends shouldn't use CLI commands, how do you
get the current frame using MI only?

Nick

Context: gdb-ui.el can have a window showing the call stack from which a stack
frame can be made current by selection with the mouse. The displayed source
updates automatically.  I don't see how I can do this with gdb-mi.el without
using the CLI.