Cannot find new threads: generic error (on ia64)

i just compiled gdb-6.0 on an ia-64 system (redhat, dunno what version). when i try to debug an executable, i get the following errors:

Error while reading shared library symbols:
Cannot find new threads: generic error

then gdb just sits there...it never goes to a prompt or anything. i can type, and i can see what i type, but it doesn't respond to it. only way to get out is to open up another shell and kill the process.

the old version of gdb (the one that came with the distro, 5.2-2) gave me the same errors, but at least it spit me out to a gdb prompt so i could continue. i upgraded to 6.0 because 5.2 was causing seg faults when i was trying to look at a fortran array.

what is going on and how can i fix it? thanks for the help.