Re: Problems with building - part II [gdb 6.0]

> > A'propos spaces in file names: I think this problem does not exist in
> > unix-like systems anymore. So why it does here. The matter of notation?

> If I try to build GDB in a directory with spaces on a UNIX system,
> similar problems occure.

> $ pwd
> /tmp/sp ce
> $ .../configure && make
> creating calc.h
> cd: can't cd to /tmp/sp
> $

> The immediate problem here isn't with windows.  Rather its with the
> existing build system which is just not tooled up to handle spaces in
> file names.

Yes, I agree. I've forgotten that the build environment might be
incorrect...

> The only reason that this appears to be windows specific
> is because only windows systems tend to have spaces in files (on windows
> creating a file with a space is easy, on UNIX it's pain).

Anyway, it looks the makefile is not perfect. In most cases (unix/linux) it
works, but if something is not quite standard then problems come.

> However, also note that, for similar reasons, once GDB is built it will
> have problems: GDB will not open symbol files if there is a space in the
> filename or path

(Un)fortunatelly, I've already noticed it. It costed me few hours ;-( Only I
wonder, what if file names being put into quotations...

Roland