Re: Problems with building - part II [gdb 6.0]

Hello again,

At the beginning I would like to tank for your answers on my first letter.

The environment I am workin with is the following:
*) operating system: winXP home edition
*) compiler: gcc 3.2 (CYGWIN 2.249.2.5)

The build process went differently than before
(http://rolandz.fm.interia.pl/gdb/1.html). Then it seemed to be problems
with file names really (spaces within them). However, now these probles
alterred with more real ones: compile or link errors. The full build log is
at http://rolandz.fm.interia.pl/gdb/2.html

I am really not very familiar with GDB internals and it is very hard job for
me to find the problem. So I am asking you for help again. TIA.

A'propos spaces in file names: I think this problem does not exist in
unix-like systems anymore. So why it does here. The matter of notation?

FYI,

If I try to build GDB in a directory with spaces on a UNIX system, similar problems occure.

$ pwd
/tmp/sp ce
$ .../configure && make
creating calc.h
cd: can't cd to /tmp/sp
$

The immediate problem here isn't with windows. Rather its with the existing build system which is just not tooled up to handle spaces in file names. The only reason that this appears to be windows specific is because only windows systems tend to have spaces in files (on windows creating a file with a space is easy, on UNIX it's pain).

However, also note that, for similar reasons, once GDB is built it will have problems: GDB will not open symbol files if there is a space in the filename or path
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=535

Andrew