Re: Proposal: obsolete target hppa*-hp-hpux10.*

Hi Dave,

> I'm willing to see if I can resolve the build problems under HP-UX 10.20.

That would be good.

Can you mail logs or typescripts from the build process?
When I build, I do something like:

  configure > configure.log 2>&1
  make > make.log 2>&1
  make install > install.log 2>&1

If you could send me all the logs, that would help.

> As far as the code generated by GCC and the debug information, there is
> almost no difference between HP-UX 10 and 11.

Well, there are three things here:

. differences between hppa1.1 and hppa2.0w
. differences between hppa10.20 and hppa11.11
. ongoing QA effort

> I don't particularly care about HP compiler support.

Then we don't have to support it.  That's going to help, because
undoubtedly there were hp compiler bugs in the 10.20 compiler versions
that will have been fixed by hpux 11.11.

> I think if Michael can improve gdb under HP-UX 11, we would also see
> benefits under HP-UX 10.

Yeah.  It's not like I'm intentionally going to break anything.

> I managed to build gdb 6.0 under hppa-linux starting from the debian
> patches.  It only took a couple of small patches.

hppa-linux is still in limbo.  I'm expending zero effort on it so far.
It does have a couple of advantages: it's an open source OS so it's
more important to the FSF; it's got active OS developers; and there's
an hppa-linux system in the test drive cluster.

Michael C